Thursday, May 20, 2010

Morgenland Hotel - St. Catherine, Egypt



Finally, late in the evening just after the sun had set, we arrived at our hotel for our second night "sleep" in Egypt. Wow! We did so much today...waking up in Cairo, riding camels, visiting pyramids, and traveling through the desert to the base of Mount Sinai. We were scheduled for dinner in a Bedouin tent so we threw our belongings in our hotel room and gathered for our evening meal. The Bedouins were cooking pita on an overturned pot positioned over an open fire. They were grilling chicken and serving special fixings to go with the freshly made, warm pitas.

Due to my allergies, they decided to cook me some special chicken - some that wouldn't make me stop breathing - and so I had to wait until they defrosted and cooked the chicken. Nearly everyone else had finished and gone to bed when they brought out a plate of chicken and cheeses. :) I ate as much as I could and headed for bed.

Graham wasn't feeling well and had skipped dinner. He had a headache and felt dizzy... perhaps the change in altitude? perhaps not enough fluids?

We went to sleep and were awakened 2 hours later - at 12 midnight - to prepare for our midnight climb up Mount Sinai. Did I sign up for this? I was excited, but nervous.

We all packed our backpacks with water, snacks, flashlights, and a jacket for the cooler elevation. We donned our hiking shoes and headed for the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment