Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Church on the Mount of Beatitudes


After surveying the more natural, quiet landscape thought to be the place where Jesus delivered His Sermon on the Mount, we drove a little further up the hill to the place where the Fransicans have built a church to mark this spiritual site.  This church, designed by the architect Barluzzi, is Byzantine in style. Its octagonal shape represents the eight beatitudes.


Here is our group entering the church of the Beatitudes - "Shhhh!" The nuns scold us.


The Altar in the Church is in the round


A stained Glass window depicting one of the eight statements from the Sermon on the Mount
"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the Children of God."






An Ancient Manuscript of the Sermon on the Mount



We spent some time here exploring and enjoying this beautiful setting; walking through the cool and quiet gardens overlooking the Sea of Galilee and taking in the landscape where Jesus conducted most of His ministry.










I must admit from my background, it is always sad to me to see the Catholic pilgrims walking around closely following a priest, fingering their rosaries, having Mass said and taking communion in different parts of the gardens.  Many of them are still caught up in the "holiness" of the place.  They feel that they will receive special graces, healings, remission for sins, by coming here and praying here.  They have not yet tasted of the Gospel of Grace either.






One of my favorite things (real spiritual of me) here was stopping in the Fransican cafe on the premises. They had cold, fresh squeezed orange juice.  It cost me a mint, but it was so incredibly delicious and satisfying.  I was sure that natural vitamin C was worth every shekel. It gave me energy, cooled me off, and made me a very happy girl! This was my first fresh fruit juices and I had been only drinking moderately cool to warm bottled water for many days now.

No comments:

Post a Comment