Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spotting the Sphinx







Just around the corner from the Pyramids lies the Great Sphinx. Again we walked through hoards of bedouins selling their wares to find the perfect angle to photograph the Sphinx.

Our guide had instructed us to avoid eye contact with the bedouins and to remain silent when asked to purchase whatever they are selling. That is a difficult thing for an American to do. We want to be polite, look folks in the eye, and say, "No thank you!" However our guide said that to say "No thank you" is actually Bedouin for "Please follow me around and beg me to purchase your goods". I got impressively adept at staring at my feet and remaining quiet. It sometimes felt like everyone wanted a piece of me.

"Sunglasses 10 dollar! 10 postcards for a dollar! Ancient coins for 5 dollars! Water, 2 dollar! Lady, 2 bracelets for a dollar!

No comments:

Post a Comment