Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Desert of Sin - Manna and Quail





Our next stop along the desert was an oasis in the Desert of Sin - how aptly named!

It was here that the Israelites grumbled again against Moses and Aaron saying, "You brought us out to the desert to die...to starve to death? We had meat and ate all the food we wanted when in Egypt!"

Again, the Lord heard their cries and supplied their needs. He miraculously provided manna for them in the morning and quail in the evening. Imagine that!

We stopped and read Scripture together, marveling at God's provision for the children of Israel in the middle of the boiling desert heat. Again, how quickly the children complained - Mark reminded us that Egypt had been home to them for so many centuries. It is no wonder that they looked back longingly to their live there - even though plagued with slavery and hard times, Egypt seemed more palatable than the unknown desert.

I have to ponder at how often I long for what I know, where I feel safe, what I am accustomed to, what makes me comfortable - selfishness, pride, slavery to sin.

God in His graciousness yearns to lead me away from slavery to sin to set me free to worship Him as His adopted child. Yet I often resist following Him because I've grown accustomed to living under bondage. Leaving what I have known as "home" to live a life of trust and dependence on Him sometimes seems "uncomfortable" and "unfamiliar". Walking with the Lord is, in a sense, taking up my cross and following Him daily... demanding that I lay down my life and my way and yet offering me life so abundant and free! Ashes for Beauty! Why do I even hesitate?

I think it is interesting that the Lord is eternally wise - even in how He provides. He didn't give them Manna that would last in their packs for days, so they could hoard it, store it, and feast off of it, forgetting the One who gave it in the first place. Instead, God provided Manna that would spoil and had to be collected on a daily basis.

Wasn't that a lesson - or should I say - isn't that an appropriate reminder for us to trust the Lord daily for His provisions! He gives us just what we need, in the right amounts, and in the right time!

I need to trust Him for my daily provision - for His Word to dwell in me richly - for His Spirit to pierce my heart on a moment by moment basis. My greatest sin is my most constant battle, living my life as if He doesn't exist. Walking from event to event as if I am in control and can be satisfied apart from Him.

Lord, help me to daily recall your provisions for me - help me to feast in Your Word, and bask in Your presence. Help me to cease to live my life without You first in my thoughts by day and by night, watching and keeping, Thy presence my light.

Exodus 16:1-11
"The whole Israelite community set out from Elim and came to the Desert of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they had come out of Egypt. In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, "If only we had died by the LORD's hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death."
Then the LORD said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions. On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days."

So Moses and Aaron said to all the Israelites, "In the evening you will know that it was the LORD who brought you out of Egypt, and in the morning you will see the glory of the LORD, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we, that you should grumble against us?" Moses also said, "You will know that it was the LORD when he gives you meat to eat in the evening and all the bread you want in the morning, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we? You are not grumbling against us, but against the LORD."

Then Moses told Aaron, "Say to the entire Israelite community, 'Come before the LORD, for he has heard your grumbling.' "

While Aaron was speaking to the whole Israelite community, they looked toward the desert, and there was the glory of the LORD appearing in the cloud.

The LORD said to Moses, "I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them, 'At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God.' "

2 comments:

  1. Darby, this was a great reminder to me to die to self and turn to the Lord for what He has in store for me each and every day. I, too often, attempt to live life apart from Him and His word. If only we would just surrender our will to His, life would be so much more joyful for each of us. It's a hard lesson to learn but one I believe the Lord has been diligently trying to teach me over the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have not, because we ask not...

    p.s. thanks for sharing this priceless photos and your commentary .

    ReplyDelete