Thursday, May 20, 2010

Of Pyramids and Camels

After breakfast at the Grand Pyramids Hotel, we loaded the bus with all our luggage and headed through the crazy streets of Cairo to the base of the Pyramids. I have always heard stories of dangerous driving situations around the world, but Egyptian drivers have to take the cake. Our tour guide made a comment about Egypt using traffic lights and signs for decoration, not for safety. There definitely weren't any traffic lanes, and there seemed to be no rules - truly. You may have heard that the pyramids are one of the ancient mysteries of the world, but I am certain that surviving without incident as our bus driver maneuvered at break-neck speed through those Cairo streets is still the greatest mystery of all. We did have the advantage of the size of our bus - which seemed to mean that others with smaller cars must defer to us.  The bigger the automobile the more respect is given - that is the only "rule" I observed - that and "he who hesitates is lost!"




We arrived at the pyramids. They are indeed massive and impressive. We saw some of the largest cut stones on the earth.  You just can't even imagine.



We took a short camel ride at the foot of the pyramids, led by Bedouins who wanted more money than we had agreed to prior. Their aggressive behavior toward members of our group caused a little scuffle between our tour guide and the Bedouin Sheik. Those Arabs are quite interesting. They yell, shout, and push one another looking like they could at any moment erupt into an even more violent confrontation.



We witnessed many scary moments with the local Bedouins during our stay in Egypt and Jordan that included screaming, shoving, hitting, and strangling. Their tempers flare easily and quickly - but after they each have their say, they seem to walk away from the confrontation with no hard feelings. I don't know if I can ever get used to that!

After observing the pyramids from on foot and from atop camels, we had the opportunity to go down into a burial shaft that led to a sarcophagus in the King's burial chamber. I really can't believe I did it. It was a VERY narrow, steep shaft. You couldn't stand up (even I had to crouch down - great for the thighs) as you scooted down the steep stairs. It was hot, desert hot, and as you maneuvered your way down into the shaft, throngs of people pressed against you coming the other way. It was a claustrophobiac's nightmare. Finally the shaft opened up in a small room in the center of the pyramid. They had the sarcophagus resting there in the stale, hot air. Some folks crawled into the sarcophagus to get the full effect - I passed on that option.

They do not allow any photography in the burial chamber.  Of course, I complied with their wishes - but I found these photographs taken by others who ignore the rules!

Descending into the pyramid




Khafre Burial Chamber


Belzoni, was a strongman in the circus.  He came to Egypt to sell a piece of hydraulic equipment he had developed.  The Egyptians weren't interested in what he had to offer, so he began to find and sell antiquities and to try his hand at archaeology.  Here he signed his name in the burial chamber he discovered in Khafre.


Exiting is easier - almost there!  

When we climbed in there was a crowd of nearly 30 climbing down the stairs one after another as another crowd of hot tourists were climbing up and out! Just picture that tunnel filled with people moving in opposite directions!  Honestly, if it had not been for a small battery operated fan that I carried along for the journey - I don't know if I would have made it. I was drenched in sweat, and the small tight squeeze was unnerving. It just felt difficult to breathe. But I can check that off my list of things accomplished now! Been there - done that!

1 comment:

  1. I bought a ticket and began going in, but the small space you need to be bent over to enter and the crowds of people caused me to feel unsafe, Yes I guess I had claustrophobia. My roomate went in and then everyone on our tour bus was waiting for her to exit. Thanks God she got out. From the pictures, doesn't look like I missed too much. thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete