Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sailing on the Sea of Galilee


Part of our tour included the opportunity to take a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee.  I was really looking forward to this - I had heard about other's experiences on the boat on previous trips to the Holy Land, and so my expectations were high for an emotional experience.

To be honest, when we boarded the boat, which is designed to look like the boats in use during the time of Christ, I was wondering how I would do with regard to motion sickness.  There's nothing quite like eating a quick lunch and then immediately boarding a rocking boat - is there?

Isn't it funny how getting older you have to consider such unpleasant things?  I used to be so adventurous - and in my younger days relished every dangerous or unusual opportunity, but somewhere around my fortieth birthday - something changed in my body chemistry - or in my middle ear - or was it hormones?  



This is the LAST spinning ride I attempted about 7 years ago - and lived to tell about.  I promise to never make fun of people who get sick on rides or to tease them that it is all in their heads and to get over it!

As soon as I turned 40, I began to suffer from motion sickness and had to learn the hard way that the Mind Scrambler at Visionland was really meant for younger folk.  That story is better left untold, but if you are interested in the gory details of me trying to prove to my sons that I was a cool Mom by riding all the wild rides - and what ensued - I am sure they would happily tell the whole long story!  Anyway - I digress.  I had a slight "concern" that I might notice the rocking of the boat a little too much so I found my seat up front, facing forward, and immediately began to look for the horizon.  

Actually, and thankfully, I hadn't even the slightest feeling of discomfort during the boat ride and as it turned out, anticipation was much worse than the actual ride.  


There was a crew of four very kind and polite young men.  As soon as we were "underway" they hoisted the American flag and played our National Anthem over their sound system.  Who would have known - but even that made me misty eyed.  I appreciated their respect for our country and their willingness to display our flag atop the flag of Israel on the mast of their boat.  Somehow, seeing the two flags soaring in the wind together was very meaningful and we all stood and sang with gusto the Star Spangled Banner.  


The Sea of Galilee is beautiful, just beautiful.  The landscape surrounding the sea is equally as picturesque.  Some of the very places we had visited the day before and earlier that morning we could now see from a different vantage point.  We passed by the beach where after the Resurrection Jesus had asked Peter three times,   "Do you love me?"  We saw the mount of Beatitudes, and the place where Jesus had fed the 5000 with loaves and fishes.  We saw the shore of Capernaum where Jesus had called Peter and John and Andrew to drop their nets and follow Him. It was very moving.  Again, I just can't explain it.  It just hits you.  This is the lake on which He sailed with his disciples, where He walked on water, where He calmed the storm,  where He cast out His net and drew it up filled with fish.  We were really there.


To top it off, the guys on the boat began playing worship songs as we sailed along.  You could hear the water lapping at the sides of the boats, the wind was gently kissing our cheeks, the sun was sparkling across the water and it couldn't have been a more beautiful or meaningful time.  We sang along as best we could, but I find it difficult to sing with a huge lump in my throat and tears stinging my cheeks.

Shout to the Lord

My Jesus, My Savior, Lord, there is none like You;
All of my days I want to praise the wonders of Your mighty love.

My comfort, my shelter, Tower of refuge and strength;
let every breath, all that I am never cease to worship You.

Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing power and majesty, praise to the King;
mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your name.

I sing for joy at the work of Your hands, forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand, nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

God of Wonders

Lord of all creation; Of water, earth, and sky
The heavens are Your tabernacle. Glory to the Lord on High!

God of wonders, beyond out galaxy, You are holy, holy!
The universe declares Your majesty. You are holy, holy!

Lord of heaven and earth-

Early in the morning I will celebrate the light.
And as I stumble through the darkness I will call Your name by night

God of wonders, beyond out galaxy, You are holy, holy!
The universe declares Your majesty. You are holy, holy!

Lord of heaven and earth-

Hallelujah to the Lord of heaven and earth.

God of wonders, beyond out galaxy, You are holy, holy!
Precious Lord, reveal Your heart to me. -Father holy, holy
The universe declares Your majesty. You are holy, holy, holy, holy!

Halleluiah to the Lord of heaven and earth!


After a time of reflection and reverence for the whole scene surrounding us, the guys on the boat grabbed their guitars and microphones and asked us if we would like to hear some traditional Jewish music. We agreed - (enough crying, I can't take it anymore) and they began to play a lovely song with a haunting melody that quoted one of the Psalms.



They followed that lovely piece with the more lively Hebrew song of rejoicing, Hava Nagila!  They asked us to join in the traditional round dance (quite a feat on a small moving boat, I might add) and many of us decided to participate.  It was very fun and a great way to end our ride around the Sea of Galilee.  





Mark accompanying the guys as they played, "Hava Nagila".  Look at that form!  What a handsome guy - and so much talent!








No comments:

Post a Comment